Tuesday 25 May 2010

Gaucho steaks & Salmon fish cakes

I’ve had a busy week before the last weekend. Apart from the usual routine at work, I’ve had many thoughts on my mind. Friday’s menu was a Middle Eastern one; a type cuisine that’s clean and healthy. It’s one of my personal favourites. Lots fresh Salad and grilled meats. It was also perfect for my clients’ requirements. And they seemed to love what I offered for lunch.


Rabbit came though the kitchen asked about a non flaming BBQ marinate. I advised him to go for the non oil base, preferably dry spices marinade. If you cannot adjust your BBQ grill and the oil in your marinade often causes the black charring on your steaks, this is how you should do it.

I met up with Filli on Friday night at Punch bowl in Mayfair. She was as lovely as ever and I was totally honoured with her frank conversation with me. I am secretly happy about my new Kitten is an honest Aries. With longish black locks, she will be the cat version of me and Filli’s kind of girlies.

Saturday I spent strolling ups and downs on King’s Road searching for kitten’s accessories. I was also looking for the special local “London” honey but shame it was not anywhere to be seen. However, I did enjoy much of the markets at both Pimlico Road and King’s Road. Many diverse cuisines available just around the corner of the gallery of our kitchen goddess Nigella’s husband. I went to visit Haribo in east end in the late afternoon. My beautiful friend was in the mood for champagne and this was what we had after a brief visit to the local American Burger bar. Love; was never an easy topic. I seemed to spend much time recently listening to the stories of it.

The fun part of it was that I actually prepared to visit her with the ingredients for the chicken soup. Now that I think about it; I probably had better just went along with a bottle of bubbly.

The past weekend was an unusual one: hot to a degree that while I was adventuring to Chelsea neighbourhood- I felt that I was being BBQed on the tree-less street. At this desperate moment I went for Gaucho: The much talked about place at work for their delicious Argentinean beef steaks.

And after I’ve tried their menu: yes, the steaks are great! Tasty and full of the right flavours for a simple piece of beef. The charges on the sauce and side dishes were reasonable- if you think the £20 plus is justifiable- for just the steak and you need to pay extra for the “extras”. The peppercorn sauce I’ve had was bland and the sautéed mixed mushrooms on the side was over sweated in their wet mixtures. As I was unable to finish the whole lots that I’ve ordered; I’ve decided that I will just order the steak next time without the extras. That is after trying all of the restaurants in the area, which I think it will be autumn when I go back to Gaucho. But I have to say: it is a nice place for a casual date location. It’s simple and classy in black. I especially love the part that the receptionist had to ask for your name when you sit down in the table. Perhaps I had reminded her of some far eastern actress with my oriental look. I don’t know, we will see when I go again next time.

Here is the recipe for the salmon fish cake I’ve made this morning:

1 kg salmon trimmings (seriously! A fishmonger is very useful. Ask for the trimmings, they had to trim it off the salmon fillets anyways. You will get them in a very good price.)

4 thai bird’s eye red chilli

The root of 1 bunch coriander

1 thumb size ginger

4 cloves of garlic

1 tsp salt

A few grind of pepper or ½ tsp

A sprinkle of soy sauce

A sprinkle of fish sauce

How to make the fish cake:

1. Take a knife to finely mince the salmon trimmings and ginger, garlic, coriander root and red chilli.

Or

2. Magimix the whole lots

Then

1. Wash your hands thoroughly

Or

2. Put on your disposable cloves

Take a golf ball size mixture in your hands and mould it into a small fish ball.

After you make all the fish balls, cook them with 1 tbsp oil in a hot pan. Cook them for 30 seconds each sides. If you like your fish cake properly cooked through, put all of them in a baking tray. Bake for 7 minutes at 180 degrees. Serve with sweet chilli sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment