Tuesday 4 May 2010

Le bistro Savoir Faire

Thanks to Markie; I started using Toptable's free booking service. This bank holiday's weather wasn't so great and I was sitting again on top of my little kitchen stool looking for a nice place to eat. Looking through those restaurants on offer again and again. I found this little gem in the busy and messy part of London. Savoir Faire. Hence the meaning of this French phrase: The instinctive ability to know how to deal with any situation that arises. I should have known.

Arrived through Tottenham court Rd station and past by many busy shoppers in the late-ish afternoon at 3 pm. I found this unpretentious French restaurant at a little corner of New Oxford St. I loved it as soon as I walked through their well worn door steps. There was a large "tourist like" group just sitting down; a couple who looked "tourist like" in front the small till area waiting to pay their bills. The waitress took a look at me with a smile and shown me where my table is with her hand gesture. Simple!

The tables are not matching, so were the salt and pepper mills on every tables. But it doesn't matter at all. This place has got the it's nature charm. The menu was a simple laminated one. They've got the house wines selling system chalk written on the far end of the wall. Quarter, half or full bottle. I went for the house red quarter and it came in this cute little glass bottle.

God know what this house wine is. Even JD was having both of his hands up in the air while I ordered the wine.
I didn't care about it at all. Yes, it tasted a bit like vinegar. So what? I don't like the Cheval Blanc and I wasn't looking for a quarter of that. I was totally enchanted with the paintings on the wall. Somehow; it reminded me of Bar du Musee (before a certain American gentleman bought it and re-invented the place) in Greenwich; which I used to love.
I went for this delicious little plate for starter: Pan fried (No! we are in a French restaurant: "Sauteed") lamb kidneys with hazelnut and garlic sauce. You see this little crown of balsamic reductions on the right hand side of the plate? It's not just for decoration. It balanced the meaty flavour of the lamb kidneys. JD had Chicken liver pate with (homemade) onion marmalade. (Of course. What do you expect from a Proper French Gent?) I loved both. The kidneys was cooked pink, just how I like it.

Then disaster stroke. I was sitting by the wondow and staring at these 2 ownerless suitcases. Didn't think of anything else. (Shame on me!) All of a sudden (bless those lovely police gentlemen!) there were these uniformed people appeared out of nowhere. And we were told to move our table elsewhere.



I, of course being a chef, was sneaky by nature; asked to have a table downstairs (where I hadn't have a chance of seeing). And I got to see the more intimate area, where shall I say, a perfect place for a private party.

The main courses were decent too. I had a "kind of" Bouillabaisse with green garlic butter on top of a sliced bread. JD had a better success at the menu: Paprika chicken, which looked delicious!

The total came at £9.90 each plus the wines. By the way, they do have a selections of wines sold at quarter and half bottle price. You just have to ask.
I love the fact that the bill came without the annoying service charge. And of course I've shown my appreciations under the little napkin on the table.

It was a lovely decent little restaurant. I will go back again if I am to be in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment