Thursday 22 April 2010

General Tso's Chicken! Saucy and delicious!

I don't know how I finished the day. Frenetics ruled today. Much similar to the food I cooked this lunch. I promise myself that I shall be taking pictures of my dishes from now on.

Tofu, spinach and bamboo shoot in the mushroom broth
Roast Duck breast spring rolls
Oyster mushroom spring rolls
General Tso's chicken
Steamed cuttlefish cakes
Steamed prawn cakes
Seasonal vegetables in Oyster sauce
Asparagus and babycorn egg fried rice

Now that I've typed all of those dishes that I've cooked for lunch, I am not surprised that I was busy.

I especially favour this steamed cuttlefish/ prawn cake. A new thing that I am trying; those deep fried oriental fish cakes are tasty but I am keenly awared of the oil that comes with them. The steamed version is just as tasty but less fat in it. I think I will do it more often from now on. The asparagus rice was very popular, I had to cook about 4 times to feed my little group of 25. (I have this enormous size of a pan, usually I only have to cook 2 times) But I am pleased that they could not have enough of it.

So this General Tso's Chicken: I've never heard of it before Rabbit mentioned it to me. I read somewhere on the web that it is just a American thing. Wiki says: this dish previously is largely unknown in China. (and may I say: Taiwan as well...) I ,somehow after cooking it; felt that the cooking techniques of this dish is very similar to the sweet and sour pork with pineapple. I also recognised that it is a dish which destined to be popular (not just with the Lucky North Americans). What not to like about this dish?

Deep fried? Tick!
Sweet and sour? tick!
Saucy? Tick!
Chicken? Tick! (we all know that it is the most UNoffending type of meat, hence the price on Chicken in the supermarkets...)

Nothing! There is nothing for Not liking this dish. This is when I know: I will get lots of requests of this dish from now on. I don't even need to ask, I only have to look at the bottom of the serving dishes everytime when I pop in to the restaurant area.

Now here comes the fun part: how to make this dish when you are at home. I often image people cooking for a dinner party of 4 but even if you are just 1; all the better, you don't have to share or pretend to be polite. 1/2 this recipe and you will have a very generous portion for yourself.

BOBO's version of General Tso's Chicken:

4 chicken breasts, cut to stripes
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 pinches of salt
5 freshly grinds of black pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
8 tbsp corn flours

2 cups of oil (enough to deep fry those chicken)

1/2 bunch of spring onions, finely shredded, keep the whites from the greens
4 green bird's eye chilli, finely minced


As for the sauce:
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp corn flour
Grated zest of 1 lemon

and

a handful of coriander, roughly chopped

so this is how you will start:

Mix those chicken stripes and the marinate ingredients plus corn flour.
In your small pasta pan or wok, heat up the oil in high heat. Whe it is hot, drop in the chicken pieces in 2 patches. Fry the chicken pieces until they are golden and crispy(stir and separate them). Strain the chicken pieces off the oil on the kitchen towel.

Mix the sauce ingredients all together.

In a differnt pan, sautee the spring onion whites and green chilli in a tbsp of the deep fry chicken oil until you can smell the perfume of the chilli. Drop in the sauce mix, stir until it is thickened. Now put the crispy chicken pieces into the pan, coat the pieces all over with the sauce.

Sprinkle the chopped coriander and the spring onion greens. You are ready to impress your guests or satisfy your hunger. Fast dish! You have about 10 minutes to complete it!

Always! Always enjoy while you are cooking! The majority of you will be cooking for your loved ones or yourselves. Hey! If I can enjoy it everyday as a professional chef, you can enjoy it even better!

Happy cooking! With a glass of wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment