Friday 9 April 2010

Let's go Dutch! Gourmet San update!

Who'd thought? My new Dutch boss was in such a way opposing my increase (what else?) that I was totally speechless apart from making the usual culinary conversations with him. Silly about it that I was really. Come to think about my fairy god mother like- Virgo boss. We shall see, if I get what I want or NOT.

Went to the infamous Gourmet San yesterday with Peter. Mr. super cool wore the eskimo fur trimmed hood, looked like a urban mafia! On the sunny street of Bethnal Green, it funnily looked like the Pulp fiction movie set. I have to say, there is certainly something to improve on the front door of GS. Lovely food, even the WHITE people say so. But shame on the door! It looks like it has been kicked thousand times by the local youngsters. (not that I think they would)

We started with whelks & sliced Pig's ear in chilli oil. Lovely texture, especially nice when Peter said that it tasted just like a Portuguese cold starter. He couldn't stopped picking from the dish. I thought to myself, well.. there is a reason why Taiwan is called "Formosa" In Portuguese.

Then we had Julienne pork Hunan style sea spiced chilli sauce. Fabulous! Spicy and yet not too hot that you cannot put it into your mouth, Savoury and yet nicely rounded up the sweetness of the sauce. I CAN HAVE THIS EVERYDAY! ( Is the new declaration for the dish which I love so much!)

When we ordered, the waitress spoke Chinese so fast, I almost didn't recognise what she was talking about. I have made a comment though... " You speak so fast and smoothly" (in my slow chinese of course)

Then we had this: ( you have to order this! what a value for money thing) BBQ lamb skewer. £1= 1 long skewer. BARGAIN! In chinese though, it is written as Xinjiang Lamb Skewer (ok, sorry guys I cannot possibly type chinese characters from mine english thing... )Also the squid BBQ chinese style. I love it!

The next to come is Fried pickled pepper with baby cuttlefish. Peter was not too hot on this one but I know why... the pickled pepper tasted just like your usual KEBAB preserved green chilli. All chopped up then mix in stir fry with the baby cuttlefish. OK, we didn't quite finish that and the rest of the dish is sitting in my fridge. I guess I will cook it again with some more garlic and chilli sauce.

We also had 2 chinese bowls of plain rice + 2 btls of chinese beer. All it comes to £33. Can I say- it is a pretty reasonable price for an delicious and yet unusual meal.

Bonus point for this trip: I found out that there is a 2nd Gourmet San shop near Liverpool street called: my old place. E1 7EZ, 88Middlesex street. I am yet to discover it with my taste palates. And guess how I found it: on the "self help" take away (Did i forgot to mention that this place is so funky that they give you the box to pack it yourself?) bag. I asked the Chinese guy who seemed to be in charge that if they have another restaurant; he said: "my old place (in chinese)".

I don't want to scare you from visiting this place but it is actually very cool and convenient: all the menu is in chinese as well as english. Only that you will be eating with a bunch of chinese looking people, which is a plus. NO? they always tell you in the tourists guide that to go for where the local people eat.

As for the Dutch... I talked to him about Vietnamese food near Kingsland road and Thailand where he is going for holiday and has a flat over looking the sea. I am just thinking: is contract catering chef just a bad paid profession?

I am going to deal with my GS left over. Talk later. X.

No comments:

Post a Comment